Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Consequences of high mileage

Up till now, my increase in running has been nicely offset by my weekly yoga and regular stretching.  I have finally hit the point, however, where this is no longer true.   
This week my legs have been stiff and tight.  I was sore on Sunday, but by Monday that was better.  I figured Yoga on Monday evening would loosen up my lower body, but not really.  It helped, but even 90 minutes of yoga did not leave me feeling loose and flexible. 
Tuesday’s 5 mile run, my legs were still very stiff.  They never really loosened up.  Today’s 9miles were better, but it took longer into the run for my legs to loosen up than it should have.  This is not good. 
So, as a result, I am stepping up my stretching!  I spent about 30 minutes this evening doing yoga stretches targeting the legs and hips in some way or another.  I need to remember to stretch most days in these weeks leading up to the marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment