Sunday, March 18, 2012

Rock N Roll Half Marathon

It is a very nice change of pace to run a race that starts only a few blocks from our house. Bennett and I had the luxury of puttering around while getting ready, and then strolling leisurely over to the start line of the race. We didn’t have to wait long, or worry about crowds and port-o-potties. This alone would make me want to run this race again.

Yesterday was a beautiful running day. The temperature was perfect for a race. Running in shorts and a t-shirt felt amazing! It really felt like spring…or probably actually more like late April or early May.

This was Bennett’s first half marathon. We had no set time goal, and no real way of monitoring how fast we were going anyway. I wanted to run fast enough that he was working hard, and I at least was running faster than an easy pace. Stupidly, I forgot to use my inhaler that morning so I was a bit concerned about wheezing a lot with all the spring allergens around. I did spend parts of the race wheezing, but not as bad as I thought I might.

The course was nice and took us through parts of DC we haven’t run in before. There were a good amount of people out cheering along the whole course. The one thing that did not live quite up to my expectations was the amount of music. I thought there would be more, given that it is the Rock N Roll half and full. Oh well though…Although it was a big race, it wasn’t over crowded. Bennett did really well for his first race! I was really proud of him for pushing through! I tried to let him set the pace, but I know I sped up too much a few times…I’m sure no one is surprised at that!

Our official finish time was 2:08:12. I think that’s awesome for Bennett’s first half! I’d love to see what my half time would be though when I could set the pace :)

1 comment: