Sunday, October 28, 2012

One Year Ago...

One year ago I ran my first marathon. That thought was mocking me as I struggled through my run this afternoon. I felt every extra pregnancy pound and the shift in weight in my stomach with each step. It just wasn’t a good running day for me. This was extra annoying because all around me, in DC and on Facebook, was MCM!

So, rather than spending any more time wishing I could have been running MCM today, or, wishing that I was not running MCM because I was training for another marathon, I have decided to focus on all that I have accomplished since I decided to run MCM January of 2011.

I’ve learned if I’m brave and reach out that I can find new friends to run with me.

I’ve trained for and run two marathons, improving drastically from the first to the second.

I’ve managed to run a good amount through the first half of this pregnancy.

I’ve learned the mental grit and will power to hold myself accountable to a good training schedule, and this mental training is something that can help far beyond running.

I’ve learned to listen to my body even more than before.

I’ve found that I really love the marathon distance, and the goal setting and discipline of training.

And most of all, I know that this time next year I will be preparing to run a fall marathon!

1 comment:

  1. You've learned so much through your running, with some extra challenges that we don't all have thrown in. I'm glad you're able to run through your pregnancy and hope you can stay comfortable and keep listening to your body!

    ReplyDelete