Saturday, November 3, 2012

Reflections on pregnant running

Every runner has good and bad running days. There are those runs where you feel there’s nothing better than that moment running, and those that make you wonder why in the world you are continuing to put one foot in front of the other and keep going. Sometimes it’s entirely a difference of mental perspective, and sometimes it’s very much about your body’s physical responses that day…sometimes both. Running while pregnant adds in a whole new set of complications to this mix of factors determining a good or bad running day.

I can never discount my mental state in a run. It alters my energy level and how I feel about that minor twinge in my muscle or the impact of my feet hitting the ground. Now that this little active parasite (and yes that’s what I’ve jokingly called babies for years) has taken over my body, there’s this whole new set of physical discomforts during good and bad runs to remind me that a pregnant runners body is not her own. My mental state might help me ignore them, but they are still there.

After the first trimester exhaustion, the second trimester brought its own changes to my body. First, I started noticing changes with my ankles. The combination of that wonderful pregnancy hormone Relaxin loosening my joints and a bit of extra weight started making the impact of each stride felt more, but oddly I felt this extra impact first in my ankles (I thought it would be my knees). After-all I’ve never had ankle problems and have had knee problems with running.

Then there’s my right hip, which has always turned in more than most peoples (and the cause of my post MCM knee issues). What has always been a slight tendency to turn in while I was running (and walking), one I couldn’t previously notice without focusing on it, has become an obvious inward turn of my right leg from the hip. I can feel my leg just keep rotating that way when I’m not paying attention. I blame Relaxin again for loosening my pelvic bones. You’d think the body could hold off on some of this ligament loosening to closer to delivery…

Then there’s the round ligament discomfort/pressure in my lower abdomen. Ever since my uterus has actually been pushing against my abs, I’ve had some discomfort from the impact of each stride. How much has depended on the run. Lately I’ve started noticing this pull on my lower back as well. Oddly, this sensation will come and go throughout a run several times.

I’ve also noticed an increased need for water and food surrounding my runs. Anyone who has run with me a few times would know that my body is much more sensitive to hydration and fueling than most runners. If I get dehydrated or need sugar, then I need it right away. There’s no waiting till the next water stop in a race for me if I want my body to keep functioning. This immediate need for extra fluids and calories has become even more important since the beginning.

It has definitely become obvious to me that my pregnant body is not the runner’s body I’ve learned to work with and master over the years.

Two very uncomfortable runs earlier in the week had me questioning how long I would be able, or want, to keep running. I have no reason not to push through the bad runs right now, and none of my discomforts signal an actual incompatibility between this pregnancy and running. Plus, 4+ months without running? I’d go crazy! But I miss the freedom of running in my own body and knowing how it will respond.

However, my downward dejected running slump was broken with a fabulous feeling 5.3 mile run on Wednesday followed by another awesome feeling 6.9 mile run Friday! So apparently there’s going to be a lot of ups and downs for me with running over the next months.

No comments:

Post a Comment