Saturday, October 29, 2011

Day before marathon thoughts…

I’m sitting here under a blanket staring out at the cold rainy day.  I’m so thankful that it is raining today and not tomorrow, but wow is it going to be significantly colder tomorrow than I’m use to running in.  My body does not adapt to sudden weather changes as well as others when it comes to exercise so I am just hoping my lungs don’t fail me and turn in to a wheezing mess tomorrow.  Last I checked it is supposed to be 37 degrees at the start and might get up to the mid-40s around mid-day/early afternoon when we will hopefully be finishing. 
I have changed my mind on what I’m wearing tomorrow several times in the past few days.  I am, even now, not totally sure how many layers of shirts I will be wearing.  I keep mentally sorting through all my running clothes trying to think what will be the most comfortable and weather appropriate.  Some people are still planning on running most of the race in shorts and a t-shirt, and I am just amazed at their ability to handle cold or conversely how much they over heat when they run.
I attempted the concept of carb loading for all of a day (and failed), and officially decided that I do not believe in carb loading.  After lots of googling I found that most of the carb loading studies that produced an increase in athletic performance used only men, and the ones that focused on women, did not produce the same successful results.  Plus, after totaling up all the carbs I could think of actually eating, I realized there was no way I was getting 4g of carbs per lb. of body weight without drinking endurance sports drinks that I hate.  So, I’m continuing to eat all the yummy carb foods I love, and know sit well in my stomach.  We had yummy dark chocolate chip pancakes this morning for breakfast!  I’m also making sure to stay well hydrated leading up to the race!
I’m trying to calm my nerves and relax for now.  I have washed all my running clothes so that anything I could possibly want to wear is clean.  Later, Bennett and I will be headed out to a runner reception for Run To Remember and then dinner with Max, Megan, Erinn, and Mike.
No matter how things go tomorrow, I at least know that I will have great people running with me!  I’m sure they will help encourage me through the cold and inevitable exhaustion.  Plus Bennett and Erinn will be at places along the way cheering us on!

No comments:

Post a Comment