Friday, January 13, 2012

Return to the blog...

I have abandoned the blog over the past two months for several reasons including the fact that I didn’t think I had much to write that anyone would find interesting.  Well, I’m still not sure I have anything of interest to write…but blogging helped me through training for MCM and I will now return to blogging as I return to serious marathon training. 
I also stopped writing because I opted to sulk more privately about the fact that I did not bounce back from MCM as well as I wanted to have done.  A brief recap in case anyone both cares and doesn’t know…  Each time I ran following MCM my right outer knee hurt as well as my lower outer hamstring tendon.  This would start a few miles into a run with the exact distance varying by the day.  I tried resting and icing, but stupidly did not try getting more massages. 
After about a month I got in to see a physical therapist who determined that my hamstring tendon was seriously knotted up and very tight.  This had caused some other muscles and tendons to tighten in response and was the source of the knee pain.  He also said a weakness in my hip and butt muscles most likely caused the overload on the hamstring tendon.  So strengthening exercises and massages have been my tasks since the beginning of December. 
I’m kicking myself that it took me a month to get my leg looked at, but I guess it was a valuable lesson.  It’s mostly better, but I’m continuing the massage and strengthen exercises.  My right leg is still somewhat tight, but I ran 10 miles last weekend without any knee pain.  So hopefully I’m on the right track.
The next marathon is at the end of April, Gettysburg North-South marathon.  This is going to be a completely different experience from MCM.  The Gettysburg marathon is small with a field of around 1000 runners compared to about 30,000 runners in MCM.  It is also a rather hilly course which I admit scares me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment